Friday 4 March 2011

Friday 4th March 2011

Spent all day yesterday writing my project profile. Was delighted today when my assessment feedback suggested using film and photography as a way to capture the elements of form, movement, light, space, sound and atmosphere. This was exactly what I put for my project so it was a relief to be "second guessed". Also it takes away the pressure of making a perfect, intrinsically beautiful "craft" object. I was so frustrated with the results of my textile sculptures which looked more like frilly garters than anything evoking my emotional response to being on Penbryn Beach!

Targets for today are: 
  •  to book an induction on using a camcorder so that I can take it to the beach next week- this is the first time I'll have entered the photography lab since Sept induction!
  • to set up a Blog as a diary so that I can track my progress, feelings and musings and "maintain detailed evaluation records" - ta da!
  • to buy a new big sketchbook for both my ideas and contextualising
  • to write up feedback from tutorial and assessment
  • to take home previous paper and textile samples to rework them.
Assessment feedback from Claire and Lottie
Basically I've got to maintain the "delicacy" in my pieces; and keep more detailed evaluation sheets - hate them so this feels much more natural and useful. Contextual book is good so maintain.
I like the feedback on my photos: "seem to break the boundaries - by removing the "edges"; exploring scale, and removing the importance/preconception of real materials". It completely takes the pressure of producing a "finished" perfect 3D piece and I'm really excited about exploring them through film and photography. It's about "transformation", which when I look back over old sketchbooks, has been a motif all along. Interesting!

Tutorial feedback from Dawn
Suggested possible films which show "real objects in a place" and evoke an emotional response, namely, American Beauty - carrier bag at the end, and Cinema Paradisio - lace curtain at beginning. Have rented the first out of the library.

Plenty to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment