Monday 2 May 2011

Peter Lanyon

Saw Peter Lanyon paintings in the entrance to Tate St Ives. Also loved his exhibition at Tate Britain which I saw last summer. Another Cornish artist whose bright abstract paintings and curved sculptures remind me of the sea and escapism.

Soaring Flight
St Michael's Mount
Wreck
Lost Mine
Levant Mine Ruins
Cloud
Porthmeor
You can almost feel the sea breeze coming out of these pictures - fresh, exhuberant, invigorating. Love the sea colours, the sense of air and movement. Makes me want to get out my paints! Love the continuous line in his pencil sketches - quick and energetic. All this I want to capture!

Peter Lanyon:
'The sea then became something which was down towards my feet, less towards the side of my feet, less perhaps in front of me as it was as I looked from the beach. I then walked over the Western Hill, and the gale struck me straight on. It was very cold too, though it was June. I lay down and looked over the edge and watched the sea coming in, striking on the shore and on to the rocks there, and breaking off and going away out to sea again, and I came back over the Western Hill, inwards, southerly, and down under the lea and the shelter, and there I sat down in the grass Ð long grass with a lot of remains of sea pinks, and the grass browning slightly due to a certain amount of sunshine. The sun began to come out at that time and the grass blew and the sea and the sky became bluer.'


Mmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment