Thursday 19 May 2011

Let there be light II


Clare Lynn, light installation sculptor. She got the public to create these images using SLR digital cameras and torches. I find the top one really exciting because the scribbly lines are just what I feel my textile installation is missing. If it is to have something of the "feel" of my "Vortex" painting, it needs light, movement and organic lines. I'm feeling like I want to put physical light in it somehow, but so far I've only used light in photography.
Could I use some sort of flexible fibre-optic tubing stitched into the seams? Or scribbling its way through and around the scupture?
Or would spot-lighting be sufficient, casting dancing shadows?
Or, as Tom suggested, projecting an image onto it somehow?
Asked in Media, and have hired a huge case of giant spot-lights. Becky in 3D and Ian in Small Metals both suggested Mapplin's by B&Q for flexible strip lighting.
Hope to borrow a projector from school.
Have opened a big can of worms here!
It's really difficult because I don't know which space I can use to hang sculpture. Want to go really big...


Chris Natrop
"Transparent plastics, video projection and multi-channel audio are often employed alongside works of intricate, hand-cut paper to create fully immersive environments within gallery and museum spaces. The viewer is en­courag­ed to enter these room-sized installations to directly experience the realm the artist has set up where elements of light, shadow and form coalesce into a fully unified world"
Love the shadows cast, and how the whole room is filled and transformed into another world.
Can't wait to play with lighting...

No comments:

Post a Comment